What does SpamAssassin do to check that an email could be spam?
SpamAssassin checks many variables within an email, when assigning an email a spam score. Users can also change the settings that SpamAssassin uses in order to determine if an email will score as a spam or not. SpamAssassins settings can be changed within the cPanel. The tests SpamAssassin does are complex, making it difficult to understand why an email was given a particular score. For more in-depth information on the tests SpamAssassin does go here.
How can I lower my SpamAssassin score on emails I send out?
The main thing is to make sure that your email does not fall into the definition of being spam. Here are some things to look out for in the emails that you send. The same applies to emails that you receive that maybe getting detected by Spam Assassin as Spam, which is information you can pass onto the sender if you are having problems high spam scores from them.
- Lookout for false or misleading information in the header
- Lookout for false or misleading information in the subject line
- Provide indication that email is an advertisement
- Include a type of return email address that allows recipient to opt-out
- Email includes a clear notice that there is an option to opt out
- Email is not sent after a recipient had sent notice that they wish to no longer receive the email
- Email contains a valid, physical address.
More information that may help to keep your email from being labeled as spam, or generating a false positive result includes:
Stop Blocking My Mail
Frequently Asked Questions - SpamAssassin
Avoiding False Positives
An alternative option to minimise the risk of your email from being labeled as spam, is to use Domain Keys. The Domain Key is an e-mail authentication system that allows for incoming mail to be checked against the server it was sent from to verify that the mail has not been modified. This verifies that the email is coming from the listed sender and allows abusive messages to be tracked easier.
More information on SpamAssassin can be found at https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/SpamAssassin